An online Bachelor’s Degree in Electronic Engineering is the suitable degree of choice for students whose interests revolve around working with innovative technologies to research, develop, test, and oversee the installation or manufacture of diverse electronic systems ranging from communication and broadcast circuits to power generation and navigational equipment.
A Bachelor’s in Electronic Engineering degree can open the door to many exciting opportunities in the field of electronics. With this degree, students gain a comprehensive understanding of electronics technology and software engineering principles, which can help them in any number of engineering fields.
By pursuing a degree in electronic engineering, students can design and develop complex electronic components and devices, develop software for such components, and use lab experiences to build competency in electronics experimentation.
By attending an online program that focuses on this discipline, adult learners get the best of both worlds; they work toward earning their academic goals without disrupting their careers and other obligations.
Exemplary education and training obtained from an online Bachelor’s Degree in Electronic Engineering lead to careers in various industries. Indispensable in their work settings, electronic engineers usually take on jobs in research and development, manufacturing, and telecommunications.
Also, career options include everything from research engineer to system engineer to software engineer. With a strong technical skillset, graduates should be well-prepared to embark on a successful career. They thrive in engineering jobs and federal government work.
As revealed by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for electronic engineers—who earn an average of $104,610 annually—will grow by 5% between the years 2022 and 2032.
- Best Online Schools for Bachelor’s in Electronic Engineering
- Arizona State University-ASU Online
- University of North Dakota
- Thomas Edison State University
- University of Arizona
- University of North Carolina-Charlotte
- University of Massachusetts-Lowell
- Excelsior College
- Eastern New Mexico University
- Clemson University
- Stony Brook University
- University of Delaware
- Indiana State University
- University of Michigan-Dearborn
- Grantham University
- Southern Illinois University – Carbondale
- East Coast Polytechnic Institute University (ECPI University)
- Frequently Asked Questions
We outline the Best Online Schools for Bachelor’s in Electronic Engineering to explore the programs across the United States that enable adult learners to pursue a degree without compromising work and other family responsibilities.
We feature the top universities, colleges, and educational institutions that offer online undergraduate programs, many of which come with specific fields of concentration. Listed randomly, this profiled list showcases the quality of instruction delivered in each of the degree programs.
We provide details of the degree coursework, their subject requirements, and program duration that highlight the skills and competencies that learners acquire upon graduation, in addition to, other factors, such as:
- Designed to instruct students on the foundations of Electronics Engineering, such as developing, testing, and manufacturing of all things related to the electrical field,
- Offers prospective job placements upon graduation,
- Properly Accredited; proving the quality of their programs and their adherence to standards of excellence,
- 100% Online or Hybrid format availability; may require laboratory experience,
- Positive reviews by students and academic resources,
- Provides graduates with many career opportunities, such as in computer hardware, systems administration, telecommunications, avionics, and consumer electronics, among many others,
- Enhances knowledge in math, computers, electronic principles, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills, as well as, the most innovative technology used today in the field of Electronics,
- Financial Aid options, Ease of Credit Transfers,
- Easy-to-use Learning Management Systems, Exceptional Faculty and Mentors, along with, Student Help Centers available 24/7,
- Encourages all students to pursue a graduate degree in the field of Electronics Engineering.
For an in-depth look, please see our Methodology page.
Best Online Schools for Bachelor’s in Electronic Engineering
Arizona State University-ASU Online
Tempe, Arizona is home to Arizona State University. The school’s online Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering prepares students to become world-class professionals in the field and focus on the areas of:
- sustainable development,
- energy production,
- energy distribution,
- and information management & processing.
The coursework covers the fundamentals, theories, and applications of the discipline. ASU’s award-winning faculty teaches specialty courses in:
- energy systems,
- analog & digital circuits,
- electric power,
- communications networks,
- electromagnetic fields,
- and solid-state electronics.
This 120-credit hour program includes mandatory core electronics courses such as:
- Fundamentals of Electromagnetics,
- University Physics I and II,
- Modern Differential Equations,
- Circuits I,
- and Random Signal Analysis.
University of North Dakota
Located in Grand Forks, North Dakota, the University of North Dakota offers an online Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (B.S.E.E) that is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.
With a curriculum that delivers a strong foundation of knowledge in the discipline, this online electrical engineering program teaches students:
- entrepreneurial and lifelong learning skills,
- multidisciplinary teamwork,
- and communication skills for a global marketplace.
Core electrical engineering courses include:
- Engineering Economy,
- Introduction to Electrical Engineering,
- Introduction to Digital Electronics & Digital Electronics Laboratory,
- and Circuit Analysis among others.
Students must have 125 credit hours to earn this online degree.
Thomas Edison State University
Thomas Edison State University in Trenton, New Jersey has an online Bachelor of Science in Electronics Systems Engineering Technology accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET. It is designed for professionals employed in the electronics industry, specializing in:
- instrumentation & control,
- computer hardware,
- and avionics.
TESU’s 124-credit online electronics engineering program includes:
- Electronics Instrumentation & Control,
- Digital Electronics with Lab,
- Microprocessors with Lab,
- Network Technology,
- Integrated Circuits/Electronics with Lab,
- and Industrial Electronics as mandatory core courses.
Students need to complete an Electronic Engineering Technology Capstone for graduation.
University of Arizona
The University of Arizona offers an online Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering that delivers education and training in:
- wireless technology,
- advanced embedded systems,
- biomedical devices,
- and robotics.
The university maintains longstanding partnerships with reputable companies such as:
- and NASA, so students get ahead in the tough employment arena.
Required core courses include:
- Microprocessor Organization,
- Circuit Theory,
- and Computer Programming for Engineering Applications.
University of North Carolina-Charlotte
Based in Charlotte, North Carolina, the University of North Carolina-Charlotte offers an online Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering Technology that prepares students for potential careers in:
- aviation control systems,
- networked computer systems,
- application design in the HVAC systems,
- and consumer electronics industry.
This online degree is designed for students who currently hold an associate degree in applied sciences and are employed, but anyone can apply as long as they meet the admission requirements. There are six primary subjects relevant under this program such as:
- digital & logic systems,
- linear circuits,
- electronic circuits & systems,
- power systems,
- control systems,
- and microprocessors & embedded systems.
Additionally, UNCC’s electrical engineering online program has mandatory courses in:
- AC Circuits,
- DC Circuits,
- Digital Circuits,
- and C Programming.
University of Massachusetts-Lowell
Headquartered in Lowell, Massachusetts, the University of Massachusetts-Lowell has a Bachelor of Science in Electronic Engineering Technology with a curriculum that specializes in the application of critical thinking and electronics principles as practical solutions to the challenges in the discipline.
Students emerge as specialists in electronic circuits and equipment testing, utilizing the principles of computers and mathematics. This 127-credit hour program requires core electronic engineering technology courses such as:
- Microprocessors A and B,
- Electric Circuits I,
- Foundations of Microwave Design,
- and Power Conversion Design.
It prepares students for a thriving career in the areas of:
- and consumer electronics.
They also engage in the design, testing, and manufacturing of software and hardware components.
Excelsior College offers a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering Technology with an emphasis on Power Systems, Electronics, and Nanotechnology. This online program and its concentrations involve the analysis, design, and integration of digital and analog control systems.
Students learn to utilize state-of-the-art facilities and high-level computer programming to develop, model, and design electronic systems. Excelsior’s online electrical engineering technology program has required core courses such as:
- Control Systems,
- Digital Electronics,
- Computer Programming,
- Business Data Communications,
- and Microprocessors.
Students need to be able to complete 124 credit hours to earn this degree.
Eastern New Mexico University
Eastern New Mexico University, established in Portales, New Mexico, has an online Bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering Technology that equips students with the knowledge and experience in the fields of electronics technology and applications in computer systems design.
ENMU’s electronics engineering technology degree produces graduates who can compete in different areas of study such as:
- and controls.
Required core courses include:
- Electronic Communication,
- Semiconductor Devices,
- Control Systems,
- Renewable Energy Technology,
- and Circuit Design with PLDs.
The university has a proven track record of paid internships among their students in top companies like the United States Air Force and Lockheed Martin.
A public research university in Clemson, South Carolina, Clemson University offers a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering that is recognized by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. This online program is recommended for individuals who work full-time with a professional background in engineering. It is not intended for recent high school graduates.
Clemson’s core online electrical engineering courses are delivered in an asynchronous format. Mandatory courses include:
- Signals & Systems,
- Random Signal Analysis,
- Electric Circuits,
- and Microcontroller Interfacing.
Students need 126 credit hours to earn this degree.
Stony Brook University
New York City is home to Stony Brook University which offers an online Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering. This online program is ideal for professionals and students who are seeking a rewarding career in electrical engineering.
Students can take this degree 100% online in an asynchronous format, and they are provided with:
- and materials readily accessible over the internet.
Courses include subjects in:
- engineering design,
- electronic circuits,
- and digital logic design.
Students need to have 120 credit hours to earn this degree.
Indiana State University
Indiana State University in Terre Haute offers a Bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering Technology (EET) that uses state-of-the-art facilities and techniques in their exclusive small-sized classes to maximize each student’s academic success.
This online electrical engineering program implements a unique learning format where a managerial study integrates industrial organization, computer systems, and supervision with technical competence. The core courses include:
- Electronic Devices & Instrumentation Design,
- Computer Systems Management,
- Circuit Analysis,
- and Industrial Electronic Pulse Circuits.
Established in Lenexa, Kansas, Grantham University offers high-quality online degrees including an online Bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering Technology. This online degree keeps students abreast of the technological breakthroughs in the field and promotes professional development for graduates to establish successful careers in engineering technology or pursue a graduate program in a related discipline.
Also, the coursework develops students’ skills in:
- digital & analog electronics,
- signal processing,
- advanced circuit theory & design,
- and microprocessor fundamentals.
These required courses include:
- Digital Electronics,
- Analog Integrated Circuits & Labs,
- Programming Essentials,
- and Fundamental Properties of DC Circuits & Lab.
Students must complete the 120 credit hours to earn this degree.
Southern Illinois University – Carbondale
An esteemed public educational institution, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale has an online Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering Technology with an innovative approach to learning. In online classes, students get access to reading materials, online video lectures, and programs while also utilizing a series of software simulations and portable test instruments.
Students should complete a minimum of 120 credit hours to earn this degree and the completion of a capstone project is mandatory. Required courses include:
- Intro to Engineering Technology,
- Digital Systems Fundamentals,
- AC/DC Circuit Theory,
- Electronic Applications & Design,
- Microcontroller Application and Design,
- and EET Senior Design I.
East Coast Polytechnic Institute University (ECPI University)
ECPI University is based in Norfolk, Virginia, and offers an online Bachelor of Science in Electronic Systems Engineering Technology. Through this online degree program, students learn about the design and implementation processes involved in electronic systems as well as digital & analog electronics. Required courses include:
- Software Logic and Design,
- Semiconductor Devices,
- and Data Communications & Networking.
These courses are taught online by seasoned instructors with impressive academic credentials and industry experience. ECPI helps their online electronics engineering degree graduates establish a successful career as:
- product engineer technologists,
- electrical engineering technologists,
- and industrial engineering technologists.
A capstone project is required for graduation.
The University of Michigan-Dearborn
The University of Michigan-Dearborn is a public educational institution that offers an online Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering that has been accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.
This online BSE EE program readies students for leadership positions in the globally competitive marketplace through delivering excellent instruction in the technical areas of the study, including:
- energy conversion,
- and computation.
The core electrical engineering courses include:
- Analog & Discrete Signals and Systems,
- Control Systems,
- System Design with Microcontrollers,
- and Digital Signal Processing.
To graduate, students are required to complete their Electrical Engineering Design I and II capstone project and earn at least 125 credit hours.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why should I earn a Bachelor’s degree in Electronic Engineering?
Holders of a Bachelor’s degree in Electronic Engineering can build, design, and test the manufacturing and operation of different electrical equipment and communication systems, motors, computer systems, power generation systems, and navigation systems.
Several sectors can benefit from an electronic engineering degree. Professionals work in the federal government or take part in research development.
Practically all industries, in one way or another, require the expertise of electronic engineers. With an electronic engineering degree, you can establish a promising career in corporate work and land managerial or entrepreneurial positions.
What does the coursework of a Bachelor’s in Electronic Engineering typically consist of?
Most of the courses in an online Bachelor’s degree in Electronic Engineering degree cover general education subjects. The typical coursework in an online bachelor’s degree includes:
- Calculus for Engineers,
- Digital Design Fundamentals,
- Principles of Programming Languages,
- Circuits I,
- Random Signal Analysis,
- and Microprocessors.
However, the majors vary by online program, as some may require students to complete electives or pick a concentration.
What are the top five careers to consider with a Bachelor’s in Electronic Engineering degree?
- Electronics Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Research and Development Engineer
- Hardware Engineer
- Embedded Systems Designer
How much does it cost to obtain an online Bachelor’s in Electronic Engineering program?
The tuition for an online bachelor’s in electronic engineering varies per academic institution, but generally, the cost ranges from $29,000 to $83,000.
Students need to identify the factors that affect program costs and take advantage of financial aid options.
What challenges do Electrical Engineers face today?
- Keeping up with rapid advances in technology: Electrical engineers must continuously stay up-to-date with the latest developments in the field to remain competitive in the job market.
- Balancing safety and efficiency: Electrical engineers must balance the need for safety with efficiency when designing systems and components.
- Problem-solving in complex systems: Electrical engineers often have to solve complex problems to make sure that systems are functioning correctly.
- Meeting tight deadlines: Electrical engineers must often work under tight deadlines in order to meet the demands of their clients or employers.
- Working with limited resources: Electrical engineers often need to work with limited resources in order to get the job done.
For more info: