An online Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering paves the way for high-paying jobs with opportunities for career advancement. An undergraduate degree in Engineering exposes students to the design, optimization, maintenance, and creation of machines and systems. Students acquire skill sets by studying mathematics, design, and advanced problem-solving.
Academic institutions continually offer online alternatives for students who would like to major in Engineering but are having a difficult time balancing family, work obligations, and school. Online programs help provide students with multidisciplinary Engineering training that utilizes scientific and mathematical solutions to deal with technical challenges in social and environmental contexts.
There are practical projects and specialized studies that allow students to have the opportunity to obtain an understanding of engineering design and the practical application of design skills in real-world situations. Programs may cover topics such as environmental technology, micro and nanotechnology, energy, sustainability, design and modeling, and structural integrity.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering obtained online can be earned in three to five years. Students may discover various opportunities for exciting careers through the extension of knowledge, skills, and training.
Engineering is a diverse field with many different applications, and a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering is an excellent way to focus your career path and develop a comprehensive understanding of the field. With several different specialties within engineering, students can hone their skills, gain experience, and explore the potential of their chosen discipline.
We’ve researched the Best Online Schools for Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering that features an outstanding set of courses under a rigorous curriculum that is comparable to brick-and-mortar Engineering programs. These colleges and universities are generally top-rated schools that are recognized for the quality of education they offer, including instruction in the online learning format.
Our Best Online Schools for Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering emphasizes each school’s high-quality virtual environment and easy access to online course materials to ensure a superior learning experience for students. Also mentioned are the academic institution’s reasonable rates and generous credit transfer programs, if any.
Other factors considered were:
- Offers program accelerated or fast-track degree options, if available,
- 100% Online or Hybrid format,
- Programs offering a variety of specializations in Engineering; Computers, Electrical, Communications, Manufacturing, and many more,
- Combines new and innovative technologies with additional studies in areas of design and implementation within the field of Engineering,
- Taught by professional staff members; often Ph.D. holders themselves,
- Internship opportunities available,
- Financial Aid options; Grants, Scholarships, Military Discounts, and Work-Tuition programs,
- Provides many career choices in the fields of industry, government, environment, power generation, or non-profit organizations, among others,
- Hones communication skills, become a team player, and recognize legal and ethical responsibilities within the field of Engineering.
Check out our Methodology page!
Best Online Schools for Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
Eastern New Mexico University
Eastern New Mexico University in Portales, New Mexico features a fully online Bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering Technology degree program. The online program is ideal for working students due to its flexible courses such as:
- circuit analysis,
- control systems,
- introduction to engineering with MATLAB,
- logic circuits,
- industrial electronics,
- modern computer architecture,
- and sequential circuits and applications.
Students are required to attend live and recorded lectures, and complete readings, laboratories, and other requirements. The university offers one-on-one advising, tutorial services, writing services, eBooks in the online library, and access to journals. The university is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Kennesaw State University
Situated in Kennesaw, Georgia, Kennesaw State University offers a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering Technology online degree program for students who are up for challenging careers in business, the government, and other sectors. Students receive money, material, and labor process management training in business and industrial environments.
- advanced statistics,
- engineering economy,
- human resource management for engineers,
- operations research concepts,
- product and process costing,
- statistical quality control,
- and work measurement and ergonomics.
There are two available specializations, which may include logistics and quality principles. All major courses in this online program are delivered in an online synchronous format. The lectures are pre-recorded and may be accessed anytime while the live component is provided through a web conferencing software.
The Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering Technology online program of the university is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET.
University of West Florida
- network maintenance,
- and telecommunications.
It also focuses on the implementation, support, and alteration of organizational networks, telecommunications networks, or distance learning initiatives.
- information technology implementation,
- case studies,
- technology systems implantation strategies,
- technology systems operations,
- and web presence deployment approaches.
There is also an available alternative interdisciplinary information technology addition to the degree. The university is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
Arizona State University
Situated in Tempe, Arizona, Arizona State University offers an online Bachelor of Science in Engineering in Engineering Management degree program.
The program’s objective is to prepare students with skills needed to hone effective managers and engineering leaders. It equips students with the skills to pursue careers in the fields of advanced computation and engineering while staying competitive in the business field. Graduates become eligible for work involving design and innovative engineering systems.
Courses required are:
- engineering administration,
- introduction to systems engineering,
- probability and statistics for engineering problem-solving,
- project management,
- system dynamics and thinking.
The university is accredited by the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges.
Bellevue University in Bellevue, Nebraska features an online Bachelor of Science in Software Development Engineering degree program for individuals pursuing careers in the field of software development engineering. It is particularly ideal for those who want to work as software programmers.
The online degree integrates practical and conceptual-based instruction for future developers, computer programmers, and software engineers to acquire skills in:
- and testing.
- business systems programming,
- introduction to programming using Java,
- object-oriented analysis and design,
- server-side scripting with Ruby on Rails,
- and web scripting.
The degree program utilizes a fast-track cohort model, wherein students take the same courses simultaneously and learn from one another. The whole program can be finished in 72 weeks and requires 39 credits for completion. Bellevue University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Located in Beaumont, Texas, Lamar University features an online Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering degree program. There are seven elective tracks that students can choose from to align with their career goals and student interests. Specializations include:
- business administration,
- mechanical reliability,
- operations research,
- and supply chain management.
Courses required include:
- industrial management,
- operations research,
- production and inventory control,
- and simulations of industrial engineering systems.
The courses and core classes may be altered depending on the chosen elective track. The university is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Eastern Kentucky University
Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond, Kentucky features a purely online Bachelor of Science in Fire Protection and Safety Engineering degree program with a fast-track option. The coursework is delivered in eight-week terms, and the entire degree can be completed in over two years.
- applied fire and safety analyses,
- applied learning in fire and safety engineering,
- fire dynamics,
- fire prevention,
- fire protection design,
- and technical report writing for emergency services.
The university is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
Bemidji State University
Bemidji State University in Bemidji, Minnesota features a purely online Bachelor of Science in Applied Engineering degree program. The degree is designed for working students desiring ease in attending classes through online learning. It aims to prepare students with math, physics, and technology specializations for the application of engineering principles to solve industry and business challenges.
The online classes are handled by competent on-campus professors to ensure quality instruction. The courses required include:
- lean principles and practices,
- material science and metallurgy,
- operations planning and control,
- principles of professional development,
- safety and risk management,
- services process and improvement.
The university is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
Situated in Flint, Michigan, Baker College features a purely online Bachelor of Computer Science in Mobile Application Software Engineering degree program. The program is ideal for those who are interested in the consumer needs of mobile devices or smartphones. Major coursework includes:
- database fundamentals,
- database management using SQL,
- mobile application development,
- programming for mobile devices,
- technical communications for engineering sciences,
- and trends in computer science.
The academic institution is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Oregon Institute of Technology
Located in Klamath Falls, Oregon, the Oregon Institute of Technology features an online Bachelor of Applied Science in Technology and Management degree program. It is designed for future professionals in the fields of engineering management and technology. It is also most appropriate for students who have completed a technical associate’s degree and are looking for career advancement.
Students may use their technical knowledge with the supplementation of skill sets with management theory. The 180-credit coursework includes:
- engineering management,
- introduction to management information systems,
- introduction to relational databases,
- and services management.
The university and the degree program are accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities and the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE), respectively.
American Public University
American Public University in Charles Town, West Virginia offers an online Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering degree program. There are three areas of specialization for electrical engineering majors namely:
- General Studies,
- and Mechatronic Systems.
In online classes, students engage in discussions involving:
- analog and digital circuit theories,
- electrical circuit analysis,
- electrical engineering fundamentals,
- energy conversion processes and systems,
- measurements and instrumentation.
There are other concentration requirements that students can access depending on their chosen areas. The university is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
Stony Brook University
- engineering design,
- engineering ethics and societal impact,
- object-oriented programming for electrical and computer engineers,
- signals and systems,
- and technical communications for electrical engineers.
The coursework is delivered asynchronously and consists of upper-division courses. Online activities include laboratory courses, PowerPoint presentations, and video conferencing. Stony Brook University is accredited by the Middle States Association (MSA), and the degree program has earned the approval of the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET.
Old Dominion University
Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia offers an online Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering Technology degree program. Under the Frank Batten College of Engineering and Technology, the online program prepares students for work in the construction, design, and installation of sophisticated hardware, software, and networking operations.
This allows them to connect with issues such as:
- improvement of medical diagnosis and treatment,
- high-speed and wireless communication,
- and exploration of outer space.
Graduates may pursue careers in various fields of study including:
- network management and design,
- image processing and robotics,
- control systems and communications.
Required courses include:
- communication principles,
- fluid mechanics,
- fundamentals of electrical technology,
- and programmable machine controls.
The university is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, while the degree has earned the nod of the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission.
Situated in La Jolla, California, National University offers an online Bachelor of Science in Construction Engineering Technology degree program for future field engineers, construction superintendents, and project managers.
Required courses for the degree program include:
- construction materials and methods,
- field inspection and safety,
- legal aspects of engineering,
- soil mechanics and foundation,
- and plans and specifications.
Two additional courses serve as requirements for a senior engineering project.
National University is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).
Bowling Green State University
Located in Bowling Green, Ohio, Bowling Green State University offers an online Bachelor of Science in Quality Systems Engineering degree program. This online program serves as a training platform for students who wish to pursue careers as:
- and quality engineers.
The courses include:
- auditing change services,
- digital rights management perspectives,
- information policy analysis,
- and synchronous quality planning.
The coursework is delivered in eight-week terms with condensed summer sessions. The university is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the degree specializations in an online Bachelor’s in Engineering?
The following are the specializations in an online engineering bachelor’s degree program:
- Computer engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Civil engineering
- Construction engineering technology
- Petroleum engineering
- Software engineering
What is the average salary range of bachelor’s degree holders in engineering?
Job salaries vary depending on the specific role, responsibility, and experience. On average, graduates of Engineering degree programs earn $90,000 annually.
What are the potential industries or career paths for online engineering degree programs?
Engineers work in various industries. Petroleum engineers, for instance, work in the gas and oil extraction industry. Mechanical engineers, on the other hand, work in complex types of machinery and manufacturing companies and firms.
Some engineering graduates pursue careers in telecommunications, computer systems design and related services, government architecture, engineering, and associated services.
How hard is a Bachelor of Engineering program?
The difficulty level of a Bachelor of Engineering program depends on the particular institution and the engineering field you are studying. Every engineering degree program is rigorous and requires dedication and hard work, and successful completion often involves mastering challenging mathematical and scientific concepts.
There are many aspects of Engineering you should consider. Take a look at this: